White House Delay in Finalizing Menthol Cigarette Rule Benefits Big Tobacco at the Expense of Black Lives
The African American Wellness Project
In recent weeks, a crucial issue has come to the forefront, one that has the potential to save countless lives in the African American community. The matter at hand is the White House’s inexplicable delay in finalizing the Menthol Cigarette Rule, a delay that appears to be serving the interests of Big Tobacco at the expense of Black lives.
The urgency of this issue cannot be overstated. The African American Wellness Project (AAWP), founded over a decade ago to champion health equity and better health outcomes for people of color, recently joined with 22 other organizations to advocate for this elimination of menthol cigarettes.
Here are 5 things you can do today to Take Action:
- Contact Your Representatives: Reach out to your local and federal representatives, including senators and congresspersons. Express your concerns about the delay in implementing the Menthol Cigarette Rule and the potential harm it may cause to the African American community. Encourage them to prioritize public health and address this issue promptly.
- Raise Awareness: Use social media, community events, and other platforms to raise awareness about the issue. Share our AD infographic, facts, statistics, and personal stories to highlight the impact of menthol cigarettes on the African American community.
- Petitions and Letter Campaigns: Sign and promote petitions related to the Menthol Cigarette Rule. Participate in letter-writing campaigns directed at government officials, urging them to take swift action.
- Engage with the FDA: Contact the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) directly to express your concerns. You can submit comments during public comment periods and engage with the FDA through their official channels to advocate for the implementation of the rule.
- Educate Others: Share information with your friends, family, and community about the dangers of menthol cigarettes and the importance of the Menthol Cigarette Rule. Encourage others to take action as well.
Tobacco kills 45,000 Black Americans every year and fuels health disparities in the U.S. It is essential to recognize that any delay in finalizing this rule benefits the tobacco industry, allowing them to continue profiting from the addiction and suffering of Black Americans. This delay is a direct threat to the health and well-being of our community.
Remember that change often takes time and persistence. By actively engaging in advocacy and raising awareness about the issue, you can contribute to efforts to protect the health and well-being of the African American community and reduce the influence of Big Tobacco.
The White House has a historic opportunity to protect kids and save Black lives. We must not allow Big Tobacco to continue profiting at the expense of Black lives. The African American Wellness Project encourages all individuals to stand together, advocate for our community, and demand the swift implementation of the Menthol Cigarette Rule. The time to act is now, and the stakes could not be higher.